Wednesday, October 13, 2021

NYCC 2021: An easy going Sunday


This years New York Comic-Con went pretty well, all things considered. I only had a pass for Sunday but everything felt as it should have. The crowd did feel smaller, and the checking in process did have a few more steps, but it was all a small price to pay for a fun day. 

My favorite vendors weren't there this year, the ones who sell loose toys and figures out of tubs, so I decided to check out the cosplayers and bigger tables. I did swing by Artist Alley but sadly nothing really struck me like I hoped it would. Also, no homemade masks for sale; I thought for sure artists would be bringing their own homemade masks to sell at the con but maybe the time has passed for that sort of thing already. 


The giant Super Saiyan Ape Vegeta was amazing! It stood like three stories tall and had glowing eyes! It was without question my favorite set-up at the whole show. Even non-DBZ fans were amazed by it!


There was a small booth for the film Mandy that also sold Kevin Smith stuff. I purchased a Chedder Goblin plush doll and they gave me a real box of Cheddar Goblin macaroni & cheese! Amazing! What a fun novelty to have. I loved the movie Mandy, and the Cheddar Goblin was a total highlight for me!


There were a lot of really well done and beautiful cosplays this year, but these were some of my faovorites:







The only "event" style thing I attended was Chucky's ice cream truck, which was there to promote the new series on SyFy. They handed out free Chucky face masks to anyone standing on line. It was a very long wait but it was a nice way to pass the time. I took a bunch of pictures of the cosplayers, got some stickers and free ice cream from the truck, and had some fun conversations with other con-goers. 

It was a really casual time. After the con, my friends and I took a trip to one of our favorite local diners and had our traditional post-NYCC meal. I don't have any real heavy thoughts about the con. I do wish we didn't have to get our passes scanned, download an app for our vaccination card, and walk through metal detectors, but that's just how things got to be right now. I still had fun and it was still a enjoyable event. Hopefully next year things will feel more full of life. 

1 comment: